Freelance Blue Mountain Cards Writing – How Does it Work?
There are a ton of opportunities online. You can work as a freelancer to countless of legitimate work options available online. One very common online job is a freelance Blue Mountain Cards writer. Freelance writing is quite a tough job. You need to have a vast vocabulary, an intact grammar and be very creative in writing to be a good writer.
However, if you need more gigs as a freelancer and you think you have the talent of becoming a poet and would love to get your works published, then you can also work as a Greeting card writer. You can submit one-liners, captions, verses, jokes, messages, gags, puns etc. to Greeting card companies like Blue Mountain. As you may have already observed, most of their content are filled with humor and some have an attitude. Cards with this kind of content, written in this kind of tone and style, are the most purchased greeting cards.
Keep all of these in mind when you make yours, then you might see your work published and printed on one of the greeting card aisles in your country or the world! Yay! Although you do not get as much dollars as you get as a freelance article writer, but you can build a portfolio and gain experience for you to grow your skill and experience as a writer.
What is Blue Mountain Arts?
Originally known for its handmade, heartfelt verses and watercolor looks. Blue Mountain Arts is a line of greeting cards sold on your local stores as well as online stores via American Greeting. They have been selling greeting cards for over 40 years now and are also offering e-cards on their website.
They started in 1972 when Susan Polis Shultz discovered her love for writing poetry and teamed up with his husband Stephen with his love for artwork. Both of them experimented with their passion in writing and artwork incorporated, thus their company was born. Susan’s work was published on 425 million greeting cards by their own company worldwide.
How to Earn money on Blue Mountain Cards?
They pay as much as $300 to their freelance greeting card writers, provided Blue Mountain arts accepted their work. You need to submit your work in a form of contemporary, non-rhyming poems. Blue Mountain arts will properly explain their publication procedure before publishing your work. You could also earn $50 for a one time use of your poem to one of their books. This is what they refer to as the payment per poem.
How Does the Submission Work?
First and foremost you must follow their guideline for submission to get your work considered by Blue Mountain Arts. After submitting your work, you can then wait for their reply. If you have not heard from them after 4 months, consider your work discarded.
Blue Mountain arts submission of work guidelines:
- Their greeting cards are usually used for different occasions such as birthday, anniversaries, success as well as difficulties and aspirations in life. They are looking for “contemporary prose or poetry written from personal experience that reflects the thoughts and feelings people.” The company is known to create beautiful words that depict love, friendship, family, missing someone, and other real life emotions and subjects. They prefer their writers to write very heartfelt and uplifting words or poem for people who are facing challenges and difficulties in life. So they seek writers with judgement and depth, writers that are also philosophical.
- Things to avoid: Blue Mountain arts works are mostly heartfelt. They are not a fan of rhymed poetry, one-liners, religious verses and even humor. They also want you to avoid using cliché and over used words and phrases such as “You are my dream come true”, “special”, “birthday wishes for you” etc. They only consider refreshing and unique words that expresses very deep sentiments in a gamut of ways for their themes.
- You may send as many poems as you want on a one-time submission. You can send you work to this address: Blue Mountain Arts Editorial Department, P.O. Box 1007, Boulder, CO 80306. Your work should be typewritten and only one poem per page. Your work should be submitted with a self-addressed, stamped envelope of adequate size, with the correct postage if you want a response or have your work returned. You may also submit your work via email on firstname.lastname@example.org. However, they do not want you to put attachments or website links on your email. You also may submit as many poems as you can on the same email. You just have to type or paste your work in the body of the email.
Be sure that you include the following details with your submission:
- Telephone Number
- Email address
Be sure to keep them posted of the updates of these details.
- If your submission is selected for further review, you will receive a response by postal mail within 2-4 months or if you sent it via email, you will receive a reply within 1-2 weeks after the day you submitted. Always remember that if you do not receive any reply within 4 months, you can consider your work discarded.
- They pay $300 per poem for the exclusive rights to publish it worldwide on a greeting card or any other products they have. They also pay $50 per poem for one-time usage of your work in a book. Publication procedures are explained before publishing your work.
- You can ask questions concerning your submission through postal mail or email address. The same ones that are mentioned above.
- Your work does not have to be copyrighted prior to submission. However, if you want, you can apply for a copyright of your work in the United States Copyright Office, Library of Congress in Washington, DC.
- They also accept submissions outside the United States, but only if the work is in English.
- Lastly, They welcome seasonal poetry submissions for the following holidays; given if the submissions were received after the dates shown, your work will be held for review until the following year:
- July 15 – Christmas & General Holiday
- September 12 – Valentine’s Day: September 12
- November 9 – Easter
- December 13 – Mother’s Day
- February 17 – Father’s Day
Aside from Blue Mountain Cards, you can also submit to the following greeting card companies:
- LOVE Greetings Cards, Inc.
- Pay: $100-$300
- Address: Norman Drittel, 1717 Opa Loca Boulevard at Opa-Locka, FL 33054
- Amberely Greeting Card Company
- Pay: $150 per card area
- Address: Dave McPeek, 11510 Goldcoast Drive in Cincinnati, OH 45249-1695
- Current Inc.
- Pay: $100
- Freelance Editors, P.O. Box 2559 Colorado Springs, CO 8090-2559
- Vagabond Creations, Inc.
- Pay: $15-$25 per idea
- Address: George F. Stanley, Jr. 2560 Lance Drive Dayton, OH 45409
- Ephemera Greeting Cards
- Pay: $50
- Games Magazines
- Pay: $50-$200
- Poetry Foundation
- Pay: $10 per line (minimum payment of of $300)
- PS Greetings
- The pay is decided upon you and company
- Leaning Tree
- The pay is also decided upon you and the company
Tips to Be An Efficient Greeting Card Writer
You can submit your works to the companies mentioned above or work from home online sites such as Freelance and Upwork. When submitting or applying for a job as a greeting card writer on the said websites, consider these few tips that may help land a job you want.
- Before submitting your work, make sure it is near perfect for your standards. Software such as Microsoft Word’s word checking does not catch all the errors that you might make while typing your work. Might as well ask a friend to help you out with proofreading your work.
- It is very important to read each company’s guidelines. One minor error might cause them to discard your work.
- Any experience in poetry will be a great help to push your credentials.
- Be very wary of your email. Never pass out on an email from your company, especially the ones that requires you to give more details of you or your work. Neglecting these might put you at risk of losing your job.
- Following deadlines are very important. Be on-time or better yet, be early.
- Do not be afraid to ask how much the company is planning to pay you. This is essential for your career, so do not be ashamed to inquire about the pay.
Out of all of these companies, one company stands out more. Offering you up to $300 dollars for a greeting card, Blue Mountain Arts gives out more amazing opportunities than other greeting card companies out there.
Being a Greeting card writer does not guarantee you a big pay for your creative writing. However, it is still an honor if your work gets to be published by Blue Mountain Cards worldwide. It would be good for your portfolio and for yourself as a writer. You can also submit your works to other companies that were mentioned if greeting card writing interests you so much, as this would give you more chances of having your work published.
I hope you found this review useful. If you find Creative Writing in Greeting card writing interesting then you might also find our #1 rated offer interesting, click this link http://simplyworkathome.com/recommended to find out more.
Looking for something else?
- How Make Money with Writing Articles?
- Swagbucks Review – How Does it Work?
- Convergys Review – Is This Work From Home Opportunity Legit?
- Work from Home Jobs UK – Effective Ways to Earn Money